I have to say that while I don’t usually brag about my chain restaurant workday lunch habit, it has really come in handy for the fiber challenge. Some chains are better than others at making their nutrition information readily accessible. Most have a pdf of all of their foods in a huge (with tiny print) continuous sheet. I have found a few restaurants in my pre-lunch planning process that go above and beyond and should you or someone you know be counting calories (or other nutritional facts) but still needing to grab a bite out, I recommend the following:
- Subway, not surprisingly, has a menu builder feature which enables the user to see the nutrition difference made at every sandwich and side decision.
- Red Robin, has a nutrition “customizer” complete with fun graphics and a mobile app. (It’s how I got so many fiber grams during lunch, day one)
- Jason’s Deli, a very detailed calculator complete with allergen information.
- Jimmy John’s, the sandwich places really are leading the pack here, however my choices at said sandwich places are resoundingly poor
- Qdoba, almost does it but to see any facts aside from fat and calories you have to constantly click for a pop-up
- Chipotle, always the winner in my book also wins the burrito nutrition calculator face-off
- Wendy’s, using their online nutrition information is actually how this whole fiber week idea started
So there are a few suggestions. They aren’t fancy and they certainly won’t get you hipster-foodie cred but they will save you from the lunch time debates (such as the classic one I had yesterday, Does White Rice Have any Fiber?).
Day 3 Fiber Intake
Breakfast: Sesame Seed Bagel w/ham, cream cheese and 1/2 an avocado- 6.35g
Lunch: This will be kind of a guess because instead of going to one of the convenient establishments listed above we ended up at a local Sushi/Chinese place. Edamame- 7.6g, assorted veggies that came with sesame chicken-3g, and for random bites of sushi and other stuff I’ll give my self 1g. Lunch Total-11.6g (if I’m lucky)
Pre-Exercise Snack: 3/4 of a Goodness Knows, 1.5g
Dinner: Leftovers, Pot Roast, Mashed Potatoes, Asparagus w/Almonds- Approx 8g
Daily Total: 27.45g
Feeling: Most of the Day pretty bloated and (eww) gassy. To all the ladies in my exercise class, it was me (sorry!). I did make a morning bathroom trip. That usually only happens when I’ve been drinking vodka the night before…whatever that means.